Department of Geography
- Ph.D., Department of Geography, Northern Illinois University (Expected December 2016 - Currently ABD). The Geography of America's Shrinking Cities (A Three-Part Dissertation). Advisors: Xuwei Chen (chair), Andrew Krmenec, Anne Hanley, Jim Wilson, Richard Greene. Primary Areas: Urban, GIS, Economic & Transportation Geography, Web Mapping, Cartography, Geo-visualization
- M.A., Department of Geography, California State University - Fullerton (2012). The Spatial Patterns and Causes of U.S. Unemployment Rates: A County Level Analysis. Advisors: Mark Drayse (chair), John Carroll, Jonathan Taylor. [pdf]
- B.S. Business Administration - Finance, University of Arizona (1980).
- GIS: ESRI ArcGis; PostGIS; PostgreSQL; Blue Marble Global Mapper; ERDAS IMAGINE; Intergraph GeoMedia; QGIS; Python Scripting; Model Builder; Relational Database Modeling; Network Analysis; Terrain Modeling; Spatial Modeling; Geocoding; Location Analysis.
- Statistics: SPSS; GeoDA; Spatial Regression; Cluster Analysis; Geographically Weighted Regression; Multilevel Modeling.
- Graphic & Web: Adobe Illustrator; Photoshop; InDesign; Dreamweaver; CSS & CSS3; FTP procedures; HTML & HTML5.; Website design and development.
- OTHER: MS Access; MS Office Suite.
Recent Professional Experience
- Instructor (2014 - 2015). Harold Washington College. Teach Vector GIS (using ESRI software) and World Regional Geography at Harold Washington College in Chicago, IL. Scheduled to teach Raster GIS in Spring 2015.
- Instructor (2013 - 2014). Department of Geography & Environmental Studies, Northeastern Illinois University. Taught a 3 x3 load including Remote Sensing (using ERDAS Imagine), Advanced GIS, GIS Across Disciplines, Interactive Cartography and Introduction to Geography.
- Instructor (2010 - 2014). Department of Geography, Northern Illinois University. Served as instructor of record for the department's World Geography class (GEOG 202) for eight semesters, averaging 80 students per class, as well as co-instructor for the Maps & Mapping course (GEOG 256/556) during Spring 2013.
- GIS Analyst (2012 - 2013). Geovisual Mapping Laboratory (GML), Northern Illinois University. Housed within NIU's geography department, the GML conducts advanced geospatial analyses, mapping projects, and 3D geo-visualizations for NIU, grant work, and various clients. Using Intergraph's GeoMedia Suite, ESRI's ArcGIS Suite, and AutoCAD, I primarily mapped and analyzed data for a contractor of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
- Research Assistant (2011 - 2012). College of Education, Northern Illinois University. Working with Dr. Eui-Kyung Shin, I helped conduct an assessment study of several hundred junior high students to assess their geographic literacy aptitude. For the study, I created the assessment instrument, administered it to the students, and compiled the results.
- Research Assistant (2010 - 2011). College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning at the University of Cincinnati. Performed book editing, map creation, graphical work and teaching assistant duties.
- Proprietor (2002 - 2009). San Diego Expresso Company. Started, operated and eventually sold a small retail coffee business with four downtown San Diego locations
- Northeastern Illinois University:
- Advanced GIS (GIS II) - Undergraduate & Graduate
- Web Mapping & Cartography - Undergraduate & Graduate
- GIS Across Disciplines - Undergraduate
- Remote Sensing & Digital Image Processing (Online) - Undergrad/Graduate
- World Regional Geography - Undergraduate
- Harold Washington College:
- Vector GIS - Undergraduate
- Introduction to Geography - Undergraduate
- Northern Illinois University:
- Maps & Mapping (Online) - Undergrad/Graduate
- World Geography - Undergraduate
- Triton College
- Physical Geography
- Cultural Geography
- Ribant, Michael. (2014). Modeling the Accessibility of Chicago's Public Transit: A Dasymetric Mapping Approach for Handling Uncertainty in Census Data. Presented at the Transport Chicago 2014 Conference, June 6th, 2014, Chicago, Illinois.
- Ribant, Michael. (2014). Using the Leaflet Map API Presented at Dr. Thomas Pingel's Geovisualization Seminar (GEOG 790), Northern Illinois University, March 28th, 2014, Dekalb, Illinois.
- Ribant, M. W. (Ed.). (1994). U.S. Trout Atlas.
- Ribant, M. W. (Ed.). (1994). U.S. Bass Atlas.
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Graduate Student - Northern Illinois University (2013).
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Nominee - Northern Illinois University (2013).
- Winner, Student Poster Competition - Illinois GIS Association (ILGISA) (2011).
- University Graduate Scholarship - Northern Illinois University (2010 - 2014).
- University Graduate Scholarship - University of Cincinnati (2009).
- Ribant, M. W. (2012). The Spatial Patterns and Causes of U.S. Unemployment Rates: A County Level Analysis. Association of American Geographers 2012 Annual Conference, February 24-28, 20121, New York, New York.
- Ribant, M. W. (2011). Persistent County Clusters of High Unemployment Across Recessions: November 2001, June 2009. Poster presented at the 18th annual Fall ILGISA Conference, October 18-19, 2011, Naperville, Illinois.
- Association of American Geographers (AAG)
- American Planning Association (APA)